Sunday, January 29, 2017

Wikipedia Trails: From Cyclops to the Concorde

I started my Wikipedia Trail with inspiration from one of my group member's Week 2 Storytelling that included a funny picture of a Cyclops in his original story. As I read about Cyclopes (which I did not previously know the plural name for) in Greek and Roman mythology, I learned that three cyclopes in particular created Zeus' lightning bolt weapons, adding brightness, lightning, and thunder to each. I then learned about thunder depending on increases in pressure, temperature, and expansion of air to create a sonic boom that can be a loud clap or a low rumble. Thunder is described as a moving pulse that is similar to the shock wave at the front of a supersonic aircraft in flight. On the supersonic speed page, I read about the rate of travel that is faster than the speed of sound, meaning any sound at this frequency is outside the range of human hearing. The most famous supersonic passenger aircraft named the Concorde, which is a British-French turbojet supersonic airliner that was operating until 2003. I have never heard of this jet before so it was cool to read about its maximum speed being over twice the speed of sound. It was really interesting to see where the Wikipedia Trail brought me from something classical and mythological to a jet airliner I had never heard of before!
(This picture of a friendly cyclops made me laugh!)

1 comment:

  1. The first thing of the this post that really drew me in was the soft smile of the Cyclops. I think it is a bold statement to say it is friendly because it would probably still try to eat you, but alas. Okay that is crazy that jets can go twice the speed of sound. That makes me nauseous just thinking about being on one of those!

    ReplyDelete