Monday, January 16, 2017

My Storybook Favorites

The three stories that piqued my interest were My Brothers Grimm: The Diary of the Only Grimm Sister, College of the Elite, and Not to Touch the Earth. Each of them was extremely different and creative and it was exciting to see the similarities and imaginative additions to each story from the original tale. 

The first story I read was My Brothers Grimm: The Diary of the Only Grimm Sister and I knew it was going to be good when I saw the layout of the website and the perfectly depictive illustration. The layout of the page was consistent with the initial picture and the font created a humorous and whimsical tone that was reflected in the style of writing. I was intrigued by the title because I have two brothers and could perfectly relate to Charlotte's character being the only girl in the family and always having to help her brothers out. I thought it was incredibly creative to create such a storyline that seamlessly connected Rumplestiltskin, Hansel and Grethel, Jorinda and Jorindel, and the gang of cannibal men- all of which I would have never connected before. The stories were perfectly written to allow Charlotte to play her role yet also preserving the original story that the brothers tell and that are popular today. I greatly enjoyed reading these stories and believed as well as related to the characters wholeheartedly.

(Image Source: Old German Town. Source: Wikipedia.)

The second story, College of the Elite, was clever, humorous, and exciting to read. I chose it because I am currently in college and was not sure what to expect with the name. It was about the Elite University where students of different races- including Vampire, Banshee, Fae, and Siren- are beginning their Freshman year of college and want to disband any archetypical stereotypes that give them their reputations. I lived with a random roommate my first year of school, so it was funny for me to read the interactions between Brea and Evie as they adjust to rooming together, which can tend to be a shock. The transitions between points of view were clear and well-written as the last line of one story became the first of another. These deeper looks into each scene gave the characters a greater sense of humour as the reader understands their thought processes and different interpretations of social experiences. I especially liked the images- screenshots of both the text and email- that the writer, Katie, created to give the story a sense of realism.

(This is Corpus Christi College in Cambridge. Web Source)

Not to Touch the Earth, the third story I read, was very different from the other two. I initially selected it because of the title, which I was completely unfamiliar with and definitely wanted to discover.  It was based on the story of Beowulf and the villain he faced, Grendel, and I was excited to read this piece because of how greatly I enjoyed reading Beowulf. The plot was wonderfully accentuated by a post-apocalyptic theme, something I am fascinated by, that presented many unique settings and dark places for nerve-wracking action.  I also enjoyed the Great Gatsby influence with the side character, Fox, to the leading hero, Rye. I found that to be a unique perspective for the details in the story. The illustrations of abandoned, dark buildings and empty streets excellently set the scene and tone and I was on edge throughout when imagining the chilling and scary villains. The impact of the layout of the page and the theme of illustrations was inspirational to me for when I begin my own piece. I also liked the navigation of the website along with the length of the pieces because it felt similar to chapters of a thrilling novel.

 (Image Credit: "The Hole" by lordyo. Source: Deviantart.)

No comments:

Post a Comment