Sunday, January 29, 2017

Famous Last Words: Getting the Hang of Things

Week two of this semester presented a unique set of challenges for me from the first week. I finally felt like I was getting the hang of writing again and able to whip out many of my assignments in record time (for me, at least), but my struggle was instead finding time to complete the work that was due. I felt a little stressed with a major paper deadline, several small assignments, readings, and this class. However, the assignments in this class continually felt like a breath of fresh air and allowed me to get back into the swing of being a writer.

I haven't written very many things that aren't scientific reports since high school and this class is really helping me channel my inner writer again. I felt like my best writing was my Week 2 story about Cupid and Psyche. Once I stopped overthinking the assignment and understood what I needed to do, the story came to me very naturally and easily, with the whole assignment taking me about 30 minutes. I also found myself having more fun as I watched my fingers type my thoughts faster than I realized what I was even thinking sometimes. This familiar feeling also allowed me to write my Humanities paper about the Catholic and Baroque period influences on painting, something which I know essentially nothing about. I am very happy that this class is helping me reignite a passion for writing that I haven't experienced in years and is even helping me with my other classes- who knew!

My goal for this week is to be proactive and stay ahead. I am currently several days ahead with assignments in most of my classes, but I would like to create even more buffer room for when the semester gets hectic. Checking in on other people's blogs from this class also helps me stay motivated as I see the great work they are creating, so I hope this well help me stay on top of my goal this week!

(Reminded of my passion for writing this week! Image from Flickr User Anthony Easton)

1 comment:

  1. Well we are way past week 2 and you are still way ahead so you are rocking it! I admire how dedicated and proactive you are....even when I know we are both experiencing senioritis. You are a great writer and it is fun to read your stories! I am glad that you get to do something that you enjoy again! Also it is a bonus if it is helping your writing flow in your obscure humanities class! Ha!

    ReplyDelete