Sunday, January 22, 2017

Famous Last Words: Senioritis!

Unfortunately, this first week of school has been hard for me because I have been facing a bad case of senioritis... I have watched too much Netflix, taken a few too many naps, and not been as productive as I could have been. However, when I have sat down to do homework, I have been able to focus and I have quickly realized that this is my favorite class this semester because it is such a fun and creative outlet for me. That is a big change of pace from my usual science and health classes. I took several creative writing courses in high school where I wrote poetry, short stories, anthologies, and even plays, so this is enjoyable for me to try again after several years. Even though it was initially hard for me, my favorite assignment was expanding on a myth or folklore with our own story and characters because it was exciting to add my own twist and create the characters as I imagined them to be. Another assignment I enjoyed was the Growth Mindset assignment because the Carol Dweck videos really resonated with me and encouraged me to not be so obsessive and "fixed" in my thinking, rather seeing myself as a work in progress.

I also really liked reading other students' storybooks because each one I read had a different style, tone, personality, and creativity that inspired me and excited me for my own project. I particularly liked the "My Brothers Grimm" story since it was such a unique idea to add a heroine to a set of stories that are so well known and the additions were excellently woven into the plots without changing anything major, simply adding small details that were certainly plausible. I liked the layout of the storybook as well as the images used because they both set the scene and supplemented the story perfectly.


I am starting to get the flow of my classes this semester and with two of them being online, I would really like to solidify a schedule and stick to it. Two of my classes have a tremendous amount of reading and several essays per week, so I want to be sure to stay on top of things and see this class as a fun and refreshing outlet for creativity and pieces I actually enjoy writing. My goal is to be proactive and stay ahead in my classes so that my case of senioritis can't affect me too much!


1 comment:

  1. Wow. I felt the same way you did in the first couple weeks of classes. It took me a second to get back into the groove of writing, especially writing fiction. I'm a journalism major, so I haven't written much (I mean, ANY) fiction in the past three years. I used to love to write stories when I was younger. I have actually missed it.

    ReplyDelete