Friday, February 10, 2017

Feedback Focus

1. The first method, reading out loud, was hard at first for me to keep up, but it became easier as I went. The only problem is that I read very quickly and when I do this out loud, I sometimes focus more on the sounds and my articulations and inflections rather than the actual words themselves. I found myself doing this several times, so I imagined that I was reading it to a small child and I was able to focus easier. I think this will be a helpful mechanism if I am having trouble focusing while reading!
2. The second technique did not work well at all for me. I felt burdened and slowed down by having to copy and delete and then didn't always know what to write as a note in place. I felt the need to write something every time, even if nothing noteworthy happened. I think this piece would be helpful if the passages were very dense and I was having trouble understanding the language, but for most readings, I do not think I will use this method.
3. The third method was my favorite of the three and one I can see myself using, especially if I need to get many things done in a limited amount of time. I set the timer for 10 minutes, but I actually read the entire story in 3, so I even felt proud of myself at the end that I had beaten that time. I think this would technique will help me stay focused and on track and be more realistic with the time that I have because I usually plan to do too many assignments in a small amount of time. I like this idea!

(My favotie of the methods- timing! Photo from Pexels)

I would rank the methods in order of helpfulness and usefulness as 3, 1, 2. I was not surprised at all that I liked the method where I was racing time because I am a fast reader and like to get things done as quickly as possible so that I feel efficient. I have used the timing method in the past and it has been productive for me, so I think I will keep doing it. My favorite story that I read during this exercise was Zoology 1114 because I have taken that class and know exactly what it was like, so it was a blast seeing Adam and Eve and Satan's temptation be adapted to the OU classroom. I thought that story was very clever and it is a storytelling technique that I would like to try next!

No comments:

Post a Comment