Monday, March 6, 2017

Week 8 Growth Mindset

There are several dimensions to the growth that I have seen in this class, this semester, and in life recently, with some being good and some being bad. I really liked the list provided of the comparisons and contrasting dimensions of growth provided for me to gauge myself and my progress.

I would say that in this class and during this semester, I have pushed myself further and found motivation in working hard simply because that is what you do. I have tried new things, such as writing styles, topics, and even classes this semester, and been excited to learn what each has to offer. I would say that I have taken risks by doing so, but I have been rewarded thus far and discovered that choosing what may be harder but teaches you more is generally the best route. I have felt excited and ready for change, especially knowing that this is my last semester at the best university in the world, and fueled my work ethic with such energy. But it is a bittersweet emotion, so I have also felt very sentimental about all of the "lasts" that are sprinkled throughout the semester (like my last choir concert ever yesterday). I would say that overall my attitude towards working hard, being motivated, and being excited about the future have grown throughout this semester and class so far.

However, I have had trouble with being a perfectionist, feeling defensive about any mistakes made in my writings and schoolwork, and been very hard on myself for any shortcomings, whether academic, social, or emotional. I am usually anxious each time I post a story and it is difficult for me to willingly allow other students to read my work because I feel like theirs are always much better. This is an area that this class has challenged and pushed me in, though I still feel some of the anxiety if I try a new method for a story. I have also had to let go of being a perfectionist with so many stories and assignments this semester because then I would never truly be finished with any of them and the editing would never end! Since I have written so many essays and stories, I have gotten better about obsessing less and allowing my writing to naturally flow without forcing it.

Retraining my mind to follow this growth mindset has been a process and I still have much to go, but I am enjoying it and think it is really beneficial to my mental health. Especially when the stress of the semester hits and I can't do or participate in everything. To further these strengths and work on my weaknesses, I want to try even more storytelling styles and take bigger risks with my writing over the next few weeks. There are many methods I have not tried yet and I want to explore all that creative writing has to offer! 

2 comments:

  1. I think it's great that you have found a way for the growth mindset to fit your learning style and needs. When I first heard about this I really liked it. I wish that I had learned about it earlier on in my college career. I sometimes struggle with paying attention and trying to learn new things when I believe I won't benefit from them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you really went to great effort this semester to try to push yourself harder and that is great to see. I always feel like I lack more in the spring semester after all the stress from the previous semester. Especially with graduating in May, I feel like some motivation was loss but I also feel like I put in good effort.

    ReplyDelete